Auto Developments at the STEM ExpoTags: think and control
Task: Improve autonomous and tune IMU
During the STEM Expo, while also helping volunteer, we worked on auto. There were a series of cascading events that were planned and completed. The first of which was to calculate the TPM of the base. There was, however, a problem before we did that. Our robot has a slight drift when trying to drive straight, which could be solved by driving based off of the IMU. However, we had discovered a couple of days ago that it doesn’t run. This made no sense, until a critical detail was uncovered -- it sets active to false. With this knowledge, Ahbi sluthed that the action was immediately being completed, since it was in an autonomous path. We then took a break from that and calculated the TPM a different, and far less complex way- we drove it a meter by hand and recorded the tick values. After we did that, we averaged them up, and got 1304, which in the end we decided to use, since just after that Ahbi figured out the problem with the driveIMU() method, and it went perfectly a meter. The issue was rooted in one wrong less-than sign, which was in the if statement to detect if we had gotten to our destination yet.
This is the first time we've actually tuned auto since the UME Qualifier, but now that Mahesh is trying to implement Vision, we plan to improve the sensor capabilities of our robot as well.