Pink v. Cyan Remote Scrimmage Post MortemTags: control and innovate
Task: review the progression of matches in our latest scrimmage
We participated in the “Pink v. Cyan Remote Scrimmage” over the week, wherein we submitted our matches at an appropriate amount of time before the cutoff time. Doing this scrimmage has given us good insight into how to tune the performance of what is on the robot already, and what needs to be added. We submitted the standard 6 matches, and I want to go in depth for each.
Before I delve into the weeds, I would like to explain our hypothetical perfect run for these matches. In auton, since we aren’t using vision quite yet, we had the robot always assume a 4 stack. The robot should put the wobble goal we are holding in the start ibn the appropriate corner tile, then backup to park on the line. In teleop we should retrieve the second wobble goal and put it across the line. With this all such that we can, in the endgame, put both of the wobble goals over the back wall. So therefore, in a perfect run, we could have 60 points max. An example can be seen in the video above.
Match 1: Starting off on the wrong foot, when we started auton things looked fine. However, our pink decorations on the front of the robot got caught in the front caster wheel, making us veer off and hit the wall. We were able to re-orient the robot since the next few steps of the auton were based on the imu. However we didn’t park due to being off of the expected final position of the first movement. During teleop we successfully moved both of the wobble goals over to the other side of the shooting line, and then in teleop we just barely ran out of time putting down the second wobble goal over the back wall.
Match 2: We got lucky in the second round and got the preferred 4 ring stack. However, we couldn’t make use of that luck due to a driver error when selecting the auton-- auton did not execute. So in teleop, we moved both wobble goals over to the correct side of the shooting line. Then, in the endgame, we successfully moved one wobble goal over the wall. The second we ran out of time trying to grab.
Match 3: This time around, we had the opposite happen from the last round in auton. The rings randomized to be a 1 stack, but auton performed perfectly. Teleop was nominal, but endgame posed a new problem. When trying to put the wobble goal over the wall, it got stuck on the turret, seen in the video below at 2:44. This costed us enough time to have us not score any of the wobble goals
Match 4: this is the video at the top of the post, because it was a perfect match.
Match 5: Like match 3, we were randomized 1 ring, and auton performed perfectly. Unlike match 3, teleop and endgame were normal, with us scoring 1 wobble goal.
Match 6: Final match, auton almost worked. The wall-following messed up at the very end of the first run, making us drop the wobble goal just out of the box, and miss parking. In teleop/endgame, we almost had a repeat of match 3, but we were able to shake off the wobble goal and score one.
To start on the subject of lessons learned, It is obvious we should practice more. Driver practice has always been a weak area for us.(Having said that, for the amount practiced the driver did excellent). One thing the driver should not have had to account for is that possibility to lodge the wobble goal on the robot. This is subject to change anyways, as when the launcher is mounted on the robot, the wobble gripper is going to have to move. Not only move, but change; the current gripper has too tight a tolerance to be used effectively. It isn’t possible to have it stay the way it is when drivers will also be tasked with picking up rings. Finally, we learned that we need to work out the kinks in the wall following what happens at the beginning of auton. We only really did this, because we are still working on a better way to square the IMU to the field, and the human error was too great and cumulative on that far run to have it work reliably.
Execute the solutions to the problems found.